The VSC provides advice to the Hon Gayle Tierney MP, Minister for Training and Skills on the following:
- How the training system can better support the economy and jobs by addressing skills shortages, meeting workforce training needs and boosting productivity for employers.
- How industry input can lead to more strategic and targeted interventions to align the training system with industry needs.
- The training needs of existing and emerging industries.
- Promoting training pathways that lead to jobs and skills development in the workforce.
- Addressing the training and workforce development needs of Victoria’s regions.
The VSC’s initial focus was to establish and oversee a new industry engagement framework to ensure training aligns with Victoria’s labour market requirements. The Industry Engagement Framework was launched on 10 August 2016 and facilitates information sharing and collaboration between government, employers, trade unions and training providers. Aligning education and training offered by local institutions with the current and future needs of the state and regional economies will be vital in the years ahead.
Just as important as delivering the right training and education is ensuring that the right pathways are available for people to transition from training into work. The VSC supports the process of establishing and growing these pathways, particularly into priority sectors.
The VSC is also a point of integration, supported by the Department of Education and Training and working across other Government agencies to support the Government’s broader economic and social policy objectives.